Bill Housh

Bill Housh age 87 of Newcastle, passed away Saturday, July 22, 2017 surrounded by his family at the Norman Healthplex.   Bill was born July 1, 1930 in Oklahoma City.  He was the 3rd child of eight children born to Gail Hamilton Housh and Eula Mareld (Brawner) Housh.  Bill grew up in OKC and attended Del City schools.  As a young man he grew up working hard, helping to support his family.  He continued that same work ethic throughout his life.  In 1951 Bill was drafted into the U. S. Army and proudly served his country overseas on the front lines during the Korean Conflict.  After being honorably discharged he returned home to Oklahoma and soon married Dolorus Staton.  They were married on June 19, 1953 in Greenville, Mississippi.  They made their first home in Oklahoma City where Bill started working as an auto mechanic.  In 1962 they moved to Newcastle and he later opened his own business called “Housh Automotive”.    For over 50 years, Bill worked as an auto mechanic and welder on Main Street in Newcastle.

In his early years he enjoyed drag racing, building race cars and building race car engines. He eventually became well known all across the U. S. for his engine building and race car building skills.  Some of his other hobbies were raising cattle, fishing and growing large vegetable gardens.  He will be greatly missed by his family and all who knew him.

He was preceded in death by:

Parents:             Gail and Eula Housh;

1 brother:          George,

5 sisters:           Lillan, Babe, Mary, Ruby and Rosa;

He is survived by:

Wife:                Dolorus of the home in Newcastle,

3 sons:              David Housh of Hayes, Kansas

Stan Housh of Yukon,

Kenny Housh of Yukon;

1 daughter:       Diana Cannon and husband Guy of Newcastle,

1 brother:          Hal Housh of Flordia;

8 grandchildren, 5 great grandchildren

Many nieces, nephews and a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services will be 10:00 AM, Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at the First Baptist Church in Newcastle.  Burial will be at the Blanchard Cemetery. Send online condolences @wilsonlittle.com

6 Comments

1. Tommy and Johanna Grigsby on July 24, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Bill will be greatly missed! All the laughter from all the stories he would share definitely one of the greatest men around we always loved visiting with you over the years until we see you again

• Carol Cornett on July 24, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Bill was truly one of the sweetest men I have ever known. My heart goes out to Delorus and their children in this sad time of loss. It will be an honor to attend his funeral service tomorrow. He will be remembered.

2. Malinda Wilsom on July 24, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I will always remember Bill and his smile. He was always so kind to me and made me feel welcome when I stayed the night with Diana. I think he kept the Skelly restaurant in business with his many trips. He treasured his baby girl, and you could see the love for his family. I know he will be missed.

3. Teresa (Lynn) Hawkins on July 24, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Dolorus, David, Stan, Kenny and Diana… you and the rest of your family are all in my thoughts and prayers. I pray God will wrap his arms around each one of you and comfort you during this time of sorrow.

4. Joe Cannon on July 25, 2017 at 8:39 am

I was fortunate enough to get to know Bill better than most people by going by there and hanging out in the middle of the night when he did his best work. We always had to make trips to the “Skelly” or as I liked to call it “Bills grill” for coffee and ice cream! I learned so much from about engines and mechanical things. He never ceased to amaze me. I still think he had the best mechanical mind over everyone I have ever known. His memory was astonishing, I never saw him look up anything in a manual like a crankshaft size or torque specifications. He had all the engines memorized from flat heads to modern day stuff at the time he worked on them. One thing that stands out to me is he always wanted to help folks. He always went out of his way to help others while sacrificing himself. This is a quality not seen in today’s generations. He was always honest and fair. He believed that if it wasn’t the very best he could do, it wasn’t good enough. Even if it meant not making as good or no profit . Some people today might say he was too picky. He wasn’t, he just did the best job he could on everything he did, a quality almost forgotten in today’s world. He was my greatest mentor and can not be replaced. I don’t know how many times in my 30 plus years of my own mechanical career that I would come across some quirky problem that myself and some other very sharp mechanics couldn’t figure out. I would call or go see Bill explain my situation, he rarely new the answer immediately, but it never failed, sometimes a week later he’d call and say “Josey” I’ve been thinking about your problem and you might try this or that. I don’t ever remember him being wrong. I will miss his laugh and sense of humor and some of his sayings. I will never ever forget once I saw him at a convenience store with a six pack of beer. I asked him “Bill are you getting yourself some beer?” He instantly responded “NO! it’s for Mother!” I don’t know what else I could say about him other than I know he loved “Mother” and his children. He was a great, gifted man and if you if you were lucky you got the gift to know him.
    I know one thing he would say. “Don’t remember me being in that pine box they bury you in.”

5. Nita Embrey (Dickie's wife) on July 30, 2017 at 4:28 am

Aunt Dolorus and family sorry for the loss. Jamie informed me the last time we talked. My prayers are with you at this time.